Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Uhmm... what am I supposed to do again?

Hey! So this is my first blog... ever. Yeah, don't expect much. I think I'm stuck... after two sentences that's pretty darn bad...

I guess I will start by telling you about my first Black Friday experience... boring I know, but hey! you were warned. It will get more interesting I promi.... forget it I'm not promising anything.

It's Thursday night. I have to go to work at 6:45 in the morning. The ONLY store in town that is having Black Friday special sales is Wal-Mart. Yes. I do live in a tiny tiny town where Wal-Mart is the grocery store and local hangout. Anyway, I have been eyeing this Paula Deen cookware set for ages and every time I walk through Wally World, I have to go touch it and imagine cooking with it... like I cook. Well, it just so happened to be on the Black Friday circular. Yay. So my friend and fellow blogger, Ellie Mosellen, and I decided to venture out to good old Wal-Mart to do a little Black Friday shopping. The checking out of sale items didn't begin until 12:01 am, so we figure to get what we want, we should be there fairly early... 11:00 pm. We go in, stand by my cookware and some down pillows we wanted, and wait. Other people start standing by the items they want and it starts getting a little crowded.

Now in my mind, I start envisioning the things we've heard about on the news. I'm mentally preparing myself to grab the box of cookware as fast as I can, kick the old lady in the knee cap that grabbed it too, yank it from her and put it in my cart and get away as fast as I can, guarding it and never taking my eyes off of it, because someone could wait till I wasn't looking and snatch it from my cart. I don't know if I can do this... I mean I do want that cookware, but do I want it that bad? I saw a woman with her small child in a stroller and thought to myself... not "What is she doing with a 3 year old up at midnight?", but "What was she thinking bringing a child into this store on Black Friday?! Doesn't she know it's going to be like a herd of cattle in here once they make that announcement? Crazy woman! Risking her child's life..." By this point my heart's beating a little faster and I notice a woman come up behind me, eyeing the cookware, it's still only 11:30, and the end cap is surrounded, but I'm right next to my box. I ask her what color she wants, and it's the red. Good. I want the blue. I felt a little better about that.

Snap back to reality... about 10 minutes before midnight, an announcement is made that the wrapped pallets will be cut open but we can't check out until 12:01. People look around at each other and shrug, then start filling their carts. I grabbed my cookware, met Ellie with the pillows, and then we walked to the movies. I got several of those, though it was a little difficult maneuvering my cart around the others, it really wasn't a big deal. We then walked to the registers, checked the clock... 12:02 and proceeded to checkout. And then it was over. I was home by 12:15 and in bed by 1 am.

I should be happy I didn't get trampled to death by crazed shoppers in the middle of the night. I don't even like drama. But I have to admit I was a little disappointed at the lack of excitement surrounding my first Black Friday experience. Oh well, I guess there's always next year, and I'll be living in a new city, in a new state, halfway across the country... maybe they'll trample me there.

--Tierney

Oh and FYI... this post is not to make light of those who have actually been trampled on occasions such as these. And no, I really don't wish I or anyone else had been injured. I just think it's funny that what I had imagined Black Friday to be was nothing like what it really was.

No comments:

Post a Comment